May 22, 2009

Galveston.....

partly out of curiosity, but mostly because i love to go to the coast, we went on a very last minute trip to Galveston on mothers day. I was pleasantly surprised at the progress the residents have made since hurricane Ike. from what I could tell over half of the shops were open on the strand, tons of houses were already done or in the process of remodel and lots of shops and restaurants were open on the seawall.
I think if you had never heard of the hurricane, you would probably not notice anything out of the ordinary at first glance. the beaches off the seawall needed quite a bit of work, but we did not see real signs of destruction until we went across the ferry to Bolivar. It was encouraging to see that as much damage we saw, there were signs of that much rebuilding.
We had a great time on the beach, the boys had a much better time than I had anticipated, and now K begs us practically everyday to go back to the beach. hopefully we can get back soon!
Photobucket
as soon as we passed over the bridge to the island we started to look for signs of how high the water got, this was marked on a building on the strand.
Photobucket
when i saw this, I knew I had to pull over a get a picture, probably one of my favorites. it was in a field with piles and piles of debris from the storm on Bolivar
Photobucket
this totally made me grin!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments....clicky,clicky right here.....:

Homegrown Photography said...

Cool shots...I love the tractor one.. LOL I'm hoping we get a chance to head to Galveston some time this summer.