Jul 9, 2008

photography club.....

i was invited to attend a photography club meeting with a friend last night in town. the meetings are held at an unusual, but very interesting meeting place, the museum of printing history. i never would have know that place existed had it not been for the club, and i can't wait to go walk through it and look at the current show, it is a display of photographs of the sign grave yard in Las Vegas. some of the most amazing photos are hanging up in there of the old signs.

now the photo club, i was admittedly nervous on the way there because of the area of town. anyone familiar with the montrose area of houston would know that i was worried about being the only un-pierced, un-tattooed straight person from suburbia at the meeting. now i know that sounds like such a stereotype of people in an area, but it is what it is. so i figured it would be filled with artsy type photographers, that was so not the case. the other thing i was worried about it that the people would be stuffy, pretentious, photo snobs. but holy-cow it was so opposite, i think those feelings come from my own shortcomings as a beginning photographer.

while my friend and i were the by far the youngest people at the meeting, it was a hilarious group of older folks, mostly men. the women were happy to see us there, and hoped that we join and continue to be at meetings.

the meeting last night was different from most, each member created a short slide show of their best or most recent images to show off! it was neat to see the different styles in the group. most of it is landscape, flowers and such, but such a variety. i am not to terrible interested in sweeping landscape photography, but it is beautiful and i can learn so much from these very forthcoming people. the group goes on field trips around houston once a month and several times a year they travel to places around texas. i think that will be so much fun, to go around taking pictures with them.

the future meetings have guest speakers and workshop type meetings.

i am so happy my friend invited me, i think i will be a good once a month outing for myself!



2 comments....clicky,clicky right here.....:

Homegrown Living said...

Thanks for the info on the museum and club Jennifer! I'll have to check it out. I have my first photography class through leisure learning next Saturday. I'm so excited to finally have someone show what I'm supposed to be doing - I'm much more hands on! LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you went, too - I would have never gone by myself for lots of the same reasons! I really think we will learn a lot and that they will be very open to teaching us. And, then maybe they'll adopt us and take us on all their European adventures with them :)

Anyone else is definitely welcome to go with us!